Archery Learning Center: suggestions for new archer - Archery Learning Center

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

suggestions for new archer

#1   sanpeter

• Members
  • 08-December 09

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

I have a 10 yr old that has just went crazy shooting archery. I have only been shooting for just over a year, he has only been shoot 6 month so were both very new. My son is shooting an old PSE bandit. He is my partner in an indoor league 5 weeks ago he was shooting 190's each week he is improving this week he shot his high score of 259. so he's getting pretty good in my eyes.
Here is my question. I have bought him (Santa is bringing) a Hoyt Trykon jr. and have put on it a stop Hogg barebones and a whisker bisket. he has a patriot jr release. and will have some Easton blues to shoot.
Are we on the right track. He shot the razor edge and mission menace and he liked the Hoyt the best so can't change that. but any suggestion pointing us in the right direction would be appreciated

#2   BigJohn

• Members
  • 21-May 09
  • Interests:Hunting, Computers, Archery

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:44 PM

That All sounds good to me.. I would say find a Archery coach for you and him.I coach a Dad and Son much like you and your son new to the sport and lovin it. We work on the small stuff.and make it fun.

#3   swbuckmaster

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 23-July 08

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:00 PM

sounds like you kid is a real shooter. high 250's and is only been shooting for 6 months and is 10 years old.

If you want him to continue to get better i would not handicap him with a whisker biscuit rest. I would get him a blade or a drop away rest.

#4   Praeger

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 22-January 11

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

sounds like you kid is a real shooter. high 250's and is only been shooting for 6 months and is 10 years old.

If you want him to continue to get better i would not handicap him with a whisker biscuit rest. I would get him a blade or a drop away rest.

Agreed with swbuckmaster. Nothing wrong with a whisker biscuit, for a young new archer it eliminates the hassle of arrow falling off the rest. However, it sounds like your son is past that. With a good prong or lizard tongue rest, he'll start to learn how to fine tune his bow. My son just turned 13 and we just started (I used to shoot in college). He has a Mathews Genesis and I started him with an Octane Hostage rest. I'll be making the same change to a lizard tongue rest in the next couple weeks.

Also good advise about getting some instruction together. Just keep it fun.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users