Archery Learning Center: Judging yardage for 3D ACE Method - Archery Learning Center

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Judging yardage for 3D ACE Method Thing a week!...

#1   acarcher

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 27-March 06

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:57 AM

Here is another method for judging distance for 3D....

This will help you find 1/2 way point to the target and then you can compare to 20 yards and this is another tool in the toolbox...

It is hard to explain but it uses the principle of parralax..... This is where as you are going down the road the close scenery (grass on the side of th road) appears to be whizzing by.... and the farther the scenery is the less it seems to move... fence line... tree line... houses... farms... horizon etc....

SO knowing how this works here is the method I use.... as you look at the target swing your body from one side to the oher and while focused on the target in the lower peripheral the ground will appear to move.... 1/2 way to the target the ground will not move and will be like a pivot point!....

Diagram!....

TARGET
\......../
..\..../
....\/
..../\
../....\
/........\
Y O U

Now that you can find the 1/2 way point you can compare to what you know is 20 yards and estimate distance and since max distance is 50 yards... If it is beyond 20 you know it is 40-50 yards
At 20---- 40 Yards
Under 20--- eg 15 yards--- target is 30 yards

Where this comes in handy is those days when yardage estimation is a struggle and this is a way to reset.....

I teach new archers this method... and have them practice recognising 20 yards in all situations, bush, open, uphill, downhill, big trees little trees, tunnels, good lighting, bad lghting etc....

It is very rare that I get fooled on distance!....

How accurate is this with finding 1/2 way point... very accurate. i can find the 1/2 way point to plus or minus a 1/2 yard. Now you onl half to know how to judge 20 yards.. and the accuracy of this system is based on how well you can judge 20 yards!....

People using this method known as that "weird method of Al's" are easy to tell they are dancing side to side at the 3D shoot.... at each shoot I see more and more people dancing!....

It takes a bit of time to get used to but once you see it!.... What is fun for me is when people earn and see it... how excited they get knowing they have a very good method for judging distance that makes practice very simple.

Learn what 20 yards looks like under all conditions.... find the 1/2 way point and compare to 20 yards to get the 1/2 way point distance and double....

With this method It creates confidence and you will only be spoofed if you misjuge 20 yards.... OR you don't keep focus on target!....when dancing!

cheers! Hope this helps!

#2   Unk Bond

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 02-March 06

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:25 PM

This will help you find 1/2 way point to the target and then you can compare to 20 yards and this is another tool in the toolbox...

It is hard to explain but it uses the principle of parralax..... This is where as you are going down the road the close scenery (grass on the side of th road) appears to be whizzing by.... and the farther the scenery is the less it seems to move... fence line... tree line... houses... farms... horizon etc....

SO knowing how this works here is the method I use.... as you look at the target swing your body from one side to the oher and while focused on the target in the lower peripheral the ground will appear to move.... 1/2 way to the target the ground will not move and will be like a pivot point!....

Diagram!....

TARGET
\......../
..\..../
....\/
..../\
../....\
/........\
Y O U
Now that you can find the 1/2 way point you can compare to what you know is 20 yards and estimate distance and since max distance is 50 yards... If it is beyond 20 you know it is 40-50 yards
At 20---- 40 Yards

Where this comes in handy is those days when yardage estimation is a struggle and this is a way to reset.....

I teach new archers this method... and have them practice recognising 20 yards in all situations, bush, open, uphill, downhill, big trees little trees, tunnels, good lighting, bad lghting etc....

How accurate is this with finding 1/2 way point... very accurate. i can find the 1/2 way point to plus or minus a 1/2 yard. Now you onl half to know how to judge 20 yards.. and the accuracy of this system is based on how well you can judge 20 yards!....

People using this method known as that "weird method of Al's" are easy to tell they are dancing side to side at the 3D shoot.... at each shoot I see more and more people dancing!....

It takes a bit of time to get used to but once you see it!.... What is fun for me is when people earn and see it... how excited they get knowing they have a very good method for judging distance that makes practice very simple.

Learn what 20 yards looks like under all conditions.... find the 1/2 way point and compare to 20 yards to get the 1/2 way point distance and double....

With this method It creates confidence and you will only be spoofed if you misjuge 20 yards.... OR you don't keep focus on target!....when dancing!

cheers! Hope this helps!

Hello
Interesting.Will share with our club members.
Again Thanks
Unk

#3   GRIV

• will shoot for food
  • Root Admin
  • 01-March 06
  • Interests:Other than archery?.....Art - creating and looking, Music,Hunting

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:40 AM

That sounds cool I will try that out today.
Don't over think it; you just might outsmart yourself :)

Get a Masters Class at your club Click for more info!

#4   Brown Hornet

• Come Get You Some
  • Members
  • 07-July 06

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:17 AM

Yep...I have been dancing for a few years :Big Grin:

I pretty much do the same thing....but I do ALL of my practicing by just looking at the target...once on a course I use my own little variation of this to double check on tough targets. But it works....and if you don't have a solid yardage system this one is easy to learn and it works.

I went to my method and it works for me...but MOST people would be screwed...it isn't easy to judge just looking at a target or tree or rock...and you have to have a ton of confidence in your judging to use it.....
Live Stung...Come Get You Some

Scott Archery CBE Feather Vision Brite Strings

#5   Ivorytooth

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 07-March 06
  • Interests:All forms of archery, running, biking, hunting, flyfishing and reading. Pretty much all sports especially golf.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:50 PM

Interesting...

I will have try it myself. I have a good idea what 20 looks like. :)

#6   EPLC

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 02-March 06

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:41 AM

I tried it and haven't a clue... What are you supposed to focus on? If I look at the 3d target everything seems to move but the target. I can't seem to not focus on it either???

#7   acarcher

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 27-March 06

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:56 PM

I tried it and haven't a clue... What are you supposed to focus on? If I look at the 3d target everything seems to move but the target. I can't seem to not focus on it either???

It is hard to explain a bit kind of like those 3D pictures......

Take a desk hold your nose just above surface and focus on far side of desk. Now move head sideways in linear fashion about 3 inches.... DON't SHake Head!.... and you will see that a pivot oint will appear where movement is constant

#8   Dougrnaught

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 25-January 08
  • Interests:Archery, waterfowling, and my dogs

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:17 PM

When I "dance" from side to side, I visualize the equal amount of my head travel on the target. I then intersect the two lines and now I have half way. The secret is how much you move your head. Spread your feet 12" apart then transfer your body weight from foot to foot. Your head will be moving 12". Now visualize 12" on the target. You can also use the middle insert of the target. Spread your feet to what you think that distance is and start dancing, just look at the opposite side of the insert from what you are rocking, find the intersection and that is half way. It is much easier to judge to a half way point than the whole distance for me.

#9   justin17

• Members
  • 21-February 07

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:07 AM

I can't believe how well this method worked for me the second day in Nelsonville. I read this thread after the first day and I really wish I came across it before the tournament. I shot 3 11's the first day and with this method I was able to shoot 7 11's for a total of 10. Thanks for sharing.

#10   GRIV

• will shoot for food
  • Root Admin
  • 01-March 06
  • Interests:Other than archery?.....Art - creating and looking, Music,Hunting

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:05 PM

I can't believe how well this method worked for me the second day in Nelsonville. I read this thread after the first day and I really wish I came across it before the tournament. I shot 3 11's the first day and with this method I was able to shoot 7 11's for a total of 10. Thanks for sharing.

Sweet! I am glad to hear it works for you. I haven't been anywhere near a 3D target in ages... sometimes I think that's a good thing hehe.. But I haven't had a chance to try Alan's hot tip. I will run out to wildwood and give that a try.
Don't over think it; you just might outsmart yourself :)

Get a Masters Class at your club Click for more info!

#11   luckyx

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 24-March 08

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:52 PM

Same situation here, is it more for longer yardage. or work better in open areas. sounds very interesting..

#12   acarcher

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 27-March 06

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:23 AM

Same situation here, is it more for longer yardage. or work better in open areas. sounds very interesting..

It works in all situations but it is a large advantage on the long shots where one can be more prone to error.

Where I really like it is where one cannot see the ground all the way to the target. But you have to ensure you are focusing on target.

#13   Johnny Ingram

• Members
  • 18-May 06

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

If you are having trouble visualizing with rocking back and forth to see the Mid point. You may want to try to place your feet about shoulder width apart. Position your head over your right foot. Draw an imaginary line from your right foot to the left end of the target. Then position your head over your left foot and draw another imaginary line from your left foot to the right side of the target. Visualize where the two line intersect. This could also be another half way point estimation.

#14   russ

• Members
  • 28-March 07

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:41 PM

If you are having trouble visualizing with rocking back and forth to see the Mid point. You may want to try to place your feet about shoulder width apart. Position your head over your right foot. Draw an imaginary line from your right foot to the left end of the target. Then position your head over your left foot and draw another imaginary line from your left foot to the right side of the target. Visualize where the two line intersect. This could also be another half way point estimation.

You know Al we know you're really just trying to disguise the effects of the rum from the night before ;) I've halved distance for ages, but not tried the AC stagger. (need some rum for that :lol: )

Attached File(s)

Future champion of something!

#15   acarcher

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 27-March 06

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:32 AM

You know Al we know you're really just trying to disguise the effects of the rum from the night before ;) I've halved distance for ages, but not tried the AC stagger. (need some rum for that :lol: )

I had to drink that since I drank all your whiskey..... Shot a personal best the morning after in 3D in the monsoon..... out of 20 targets... shot first 17 clean until headache really got going and dropped three 8's on last three targets.... I was so hungover i could not even go to target to retrieve arrows and I did not use binos as i was seeing double!..... which when looking through binos would make me dizzy.... could not even shoot practice arrows because i could not pull my bow back...... i would not be able to describe how i could do that but i have not been able to duplicate that performance since!.... after trying a few more times!....

#16   SQ229

• Members
  • 04-January 09

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:30 PM

Diagram!....

TARGET
\......../
..\..../
....\/
..../\
../....\
/........\
Y O U

At 20---- 40 Yards

cheers! Hope this helps!

Attached File(s)

#17   SQ229

• Members
  • 04-January 09

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

Hello, I have been shooting 3-D for only a few years now, and have always had trouble judging yardage, although this blind hog has found an acorn or two, I guess my question is about the terrain, where I live most of the ranges are from rolling to just downright mountainous, targets are over a slope, across a small ridge, down in a dry creek bed, and my personal favorite the “tunnel lane” with various size targets this always throws me off I’ve had several friends try to help with different suggestions nothing as of yet seems to work well, I have even begun to practice with a range finder, judge a target and then range it and see how close I get still very little success, please any more suggestions this one I will try but I still need work on finding a consistent 20 yrds all input accepted thanks in advance Brian.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users