• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bows on a plane

#1   ryanjeff9

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 31-July 06

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:36 PM

I am going to take by bows on to a plane for the first time in Feb. I am very worried about them getting damaged due to harshness of the baggage handlers. I bought a really nice case, Aurora Proline, just for this occasion but I am still worried about it. Is there any tips that you frequent flyers have to protect my gear to ensure that there is no damage. Any help or tips would be great. Thanks -- Jeff R.

#2   Tommy Chumley

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 09-March 06

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:41 PM

I have traveled with my bow dozens of times with no damage at all. I have an SKB Case and I just make sure everything inside is secured. Different airlines have different procedures for how they handle objects like bows, so you might want to call your airline a few days in advance and ask about that. Also make sure you arrive at the airport early enough to deal with the probable TSA Inspection when you check in.
Tommy C.

"I can't imagine mastering the skills involved here without a clearer understanding of who's going to be impressed." Cavin (Calvin and Hobbes)

#3   x_hunter

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 05-October 06
  • Interests:Archery, archery, archery, archery,golf, and archery

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

In years past I have flown with my SKB case. They just requested it be left unlocked so that they could inspect it if necessary. Last year I flew with my Brownell case (similar to the proline) and had no problems. The cases are tough and as long as you strap your bow in it should be OK. Also make sure your arrows and accessories are packed well. Use extra clothes or something for extra padding where needed. You may want to call ahead to see if your case will be considered "over-sized luggage" or not. It will just prepare you for the extra fee if there is one. I'm assuming you are going to Vegas so good luck and maybe I'll see ya out there.
Deep River Archery Club @
http://www.geocities...or99/index.html

#4   NockOn

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 02-March 06
  • Interests:Archery and Geocaching

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:42 PM

Hi Jeff,

You know who I am so I don't need intros :-)

I flew twice with my bows and both times used the cheap type case that JD sales for $50. I did put some clothes in the case to help pad the bow a bit. I also used a suitcase strap to go around it and also put padlocks on the case.

During both trips, my bows got there unarmed.

one thing I would suggest is to use the travel bag that you can get for extra $. This will protect your case. If not, get some of those big clear bags they have at the airport and put your case in it then tape it shut. the reason behind this is that they can't grab the handles on the case so they can't brake them or have a good grip to toss your case in the air.

Hope this helps.

If I don't see you before you go to the Canada games, Good Luck.....

Cheers,

Claude
-----------------------------
CX Field Staff

#5   GRIV

• will shoot for food
  • Root Admin
  • 01-March 06
  • Interests:Other than archery?.....Art - creating and looking, Music,Hunting

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:01 AM

I have traveled all over with almost every case out there. I prefer the semi soft ones like the Aurora or the Brownell case. You don't need to worry about your bows. They are tougher than you think. Make sure, if you are packing two, or three bows in the case that you alternate the risers, so if the case gets a side impact, one riser doesn't crush the rest on another. Remove all of the sight knobs, sights, Doinker bars, or anything that protrudes off the side of the bow. It will help everything pack better. Put your sights in a hard case inside the bow case.

Most important!!!! Pack your arrows and a hard tube or case and pad the nocks so the can't be slammed into the end of the tube. The only damage I have ever received in transit over the years is to may arrows.

Hope this helps!
Don't over think it; you just might outsmart yourself :)

Get a Masters Class at your club Click for more info!

#6   acarcher

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 27-March 06

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:00 PM

Great thread....

I have a related question....has anyone ever had their bow take the round trip to everywhere else except where you are?

I am worried when i travel to Canadian 3D nationals!

#7   GRIV

• will shoot for food
  • Root Admin
  • 01-March 06
  • Interests:Other than archery?.....Art - creating and looking, Music,Hunting

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:20 PM

Great thread....

I have a related question....has anyone ever had their bow take the round trip to everywhere else except where you are?

I am worried when i travel to Canadian 3D nationals!

Yep, mine have turned up in all sorts of weird places over the year, but somehow they always made it back in time to shoot. Hong Kong was the weirdest place, well.... considering that I was in Kentucky. :)
Don't over think it; you just might outsmart yourself :)

Get a Masters Class at your club Click for more info!

#8   Francis

• Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 13-March 06

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:00 PM

ttt

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users